Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Blog #5: Project Reflection & Working EQ


(I) As a result of everything I have completed thus far, I've had the chance to meet new people that are in the music industry. I've also had the opportunity to speak to some really amazing performers and get advice from them.

(II) I've had a few informal interviews with my mentor that have really helped me further understand music performing. During one of these talks a few pieces of information have stuck with me that I believe has really helped ground my topic:

  • Lesa J made it a point to tell me how difficult being a performer can be. Not just technically but getting to where you want to be successfully, can take years. She mentioned how many people have doubts in the middle of their careers, and said "that's how you separate those who are truly passionate and serious about being a musician". 
  • Lesa also told me that being a musician and performer is a never-ending learning process. You learn something new about it everyday. You get better everyday.
  • She finished off by saying that although the music industry is one of the most competitive, if you are dedicated enough and "keep going at it" eventually you will succeed; and all your hard work will pay off. 

(III) What I believe has been the most effective for me so far in the senior project is the mandatory hours and mentor. Having this requirement has motivated me to go out and look for someone in the industry. Not just that but I also go to all the events associated with my mentors company. Through going to these events I've gotten to meet some interesting people with good advice and info. Another plus side of meeting these people is that I've begun to network unintentionally!

(IV) I believe the effective component of the senior project so far has been research check. It hasn't been completely ineffective-it has helped me learn a bit-just not as much as, lets say the interview, or these blog posts. I feel that the formal-ness and dependency of a grade on these notes pressures me to just read and note rather than digest the info.

(V) A potential EQ for my senior project would be:

  • What is the most important characteristic a music performer must obtain to be successful in the music business?
My current mentor is Lesa James, who is the CEO of the promotional group bricktoyaface. I'm also going to begin mentoring with the choir coordinator at my church. 

Lupe Lara
9/4/13


3 comments:

  1. What about, "What is most important for a (what kind of performer) to be successful in (what kind of music)?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really glad that the networking has worked for you. That is the idea! I realize the notes can be a drag. It's the academic part and, honestly, just not that fun. Still, it is one of those things I talk about as being good for you...like eating your veggies. It'll be invaluable in putting together your final components. I think part of the problem is that this kind of thing is hard to find academic research on. Might I suggest that you read a chapter on music in the book, Blink? I have a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once you get back to me about your EQ revise, post it at the top of your blog.

    ReplyDelete